Venepuncture is an important skill for anyone who works, or would like to work, in the health or social care sectors, or in the field of scientific research and study. Even some beauty treatments and therapies require the skill.
At iN phlebotomy training we have taken our years of experience of delivering training for phlebotomists, and developed a range of courses that will get you ready to start taking bloods in a professional and confident manner in no time.
Open courses are normally delivered in our training centre at Bakersfield Surgery in Nottingham, but we can also deliver training at your premises, to train multiple staff at once. Contact us to discuss your needs.
Our range of Venepuncture courses include:
Why choose iN phlebotomy training?
- CPD Accreditation: This accreditation means all of our courses will count towards your annual CPD requirement, in many cases they can be funded by your employer, and will look great on your CV.
- Quality assurance: We specialise in delivering a range of high quality healthcare training, so all of our courses are robustly assessed and quality checked.
- Small groups: 4-8 people on each course ensure more personal attention for each student.
- Central location: Our clinical courses are all delivered in our Medical Education centre in a working GP surgery in Nottingham. We find Nottingham to be a great, central location that most people can get to, but we can also bring the training to your premises to teach groups of staff if necessary (contact us if you would like to arrange this).
- Refreshments & Lunch: All courses hosted at our Education Centre include a selection of refreshments and lunch options, and comfortable break out areas.
- Clinical opportunities: By training in a clinical environment, we are able to offer the opportunity to take blood from live volunteers in the clinic during the courses. As well as offering clinical experience opportunities to kick start your new career.
- Experienced trainers: Our trainers bring a range of experience from different settings like from hospitals and GP surgeries, to private, mobile and specialist phlebotomy services in the community.
- iNnovative training: We utilise online resources where appropriate to supplement the main course, allowing flexible learning, and reducing travel and accommodation costs and environmental impacts.
Venepuncture Practices & Techniques
What will you learn?
This course is written in line with the CH132 National Occupational Standards for Obtaining Venous Blood Samples which have been written by Skills for Health for the NHS, so you can rest assured you will learn everything you need to know to fulfil the requirements of any future employers. This includes:
- The roles and responsibilities of a phlebotomist.
- Familiarisation with a variety of equipment.
- Best practice techniques to collect blood safely and successfully.
This one day course has been developed to most effectively teach you what you need to know to fulfil these standards, with an emphasis on practical, hands on training.
You will also receive a comprehensive course handbook, that you can keep as a valuable reference tool as you continue to grow your experience.
Courses at our training centre
Optional Live Bloods Opportunity (+£50 +VAT)
Competence for this course will be assessed on vein blocks and training arms. However, because our training centre is based in a GP surgery, we are able to offer the opportunity to take a blood sample from your fellow students.
This relies on enough students to volunteer, as well as increased health and safety considerations, and therefore a small additional supplemental fee will be charged if you want to take advantage of this opportunity.
We will record this blood draw on a Assessment Record of Competency as your first successful blood draw. You can then build on this in your own clinic, or as part of one of our competency courses.
Optional Online CPD Courses
Through our online eQual platform, we are able to offer a range of supplemental, short CPD courses that will complement your new Phlebotomy skills at a discounted rate for students. We don't include these in the main course, because you may already have these competencies through your work. However, if you are completely new to the health and social care sector, then we highly recommend that you take a look at these courses to boost your CV and general understanding. These include:
- CPD Health & Safety at Work (+£25)
- CPD Principles of Safeguarding (+£25)
- CPD General Data Protection Regulation (+£25)
- CPD Prevention and Control of Infection (+£25)
- CPD First Aid Programme (+£65)
CPD Venepuncture Competency Training
What will you learn?
In order to be consider 'competent' at venepuncture, it is standard practice to shadow and then work under supervision for at least 10 blood draws. On this competency training, you will have the opportunity to work alongside our phlebotomist in the clinic for a day. During this day you will see all shapes and sizes of veins, watch and learn, and then take bloods yourself, under close supervision. By the end of the course, you will receive a CPD accredited competency certificate, but almost more importantly, you'll receive priceless experiences.
Please contact us to discuss booking this experience.
CPD Remote Competency Training (£150 +VAT)
If you have enough willing volunteers, you could gain your competency with remote assessments. After completing the CPD Venepuncture Practices & Techniques course, with the Optional Live Bloods Opportunity, completing your first competency blood draw, you will commence your remote competency training. Your mentor will be able to guide you, giving advice and feedback, through a video call during your remaining 9 blood draws.
Included in the price of this course, we will send you a Venepuncture Starter Kit to ensure you have all the equipment you need to complete your 10 blood draws.
We are very proud to say that this is only CPD accredited opportunity of it's kind in the UK!
If you are lucky enough to secure a placement in a clinic, or find a local phlebotomist or nurse to supervise you during your competency blood draws, we are happy to send you the appropriate documentation. If you can return a completed Assessment Record back to us showing 10 blood draws, we can send you a certificate. This service will cost £50 +VAT.
Please contact us to discuss booking this course.
CPD Venepuncture Refresher Training
What will you learn?
This half-day course is aimed at people already working in a health care role, who haven't performed the venepuncture procedure in a while.
You will complete an online competency assessment, before completing a practical face-to-face afternoon at our Education Centre.
You can book onto refresher training on the afternoon of any of our Venepuncture Practices & Techniques days.
For Organisations: This course is also suitable for organisations, like nursing care homes or home care agencies, that need to refresh their staff, and bespoke the content to their needs.
Please contact us to find out if you qualify for refresher training, or to organise a Refresher course in your organisation.
CPD Advanced Venepuncture Practices + Intravenous Cannulation (£250 +VAT)
What will you learn?
This course builds on the skills you learn in the Venepuncture Practices & Techniques course. You will learn new, more advanced techniques, to get blood from more difficult patients, and share your experiences with other phlebotomists. Techniques you will learn include:
- Using the aspiration system.
- Using butterfly needles.
- Using syringes.
- Taking blood cultures.
- Taking blood from the back of the hand.
- Taking blood from the foot.
Advanced Venepuncture Practices and Intravenous Cannulation are 2 separate half day courses. You will receive two separate certificates. Although most students combined both courses, you are welcome to attend one or the other at a cost of £200 +VAT each.
For Organisations: A half-day Intravenous Cannulation course is available for organisations, like nursing care homes or home care agencies, that require their staff to acquire this skill. Contact us to arrange this.
Combine with the Venepuncture Practices & Techniques course for a Venepuncture Masterclass, and save £100.
Combine the Venepunctures Practices & Techniques course and the Advanced Venepuncture + Cannulation course into a full weekend where you will learn all their is to know about venepuncture.
Alternatively, if you already have some experience of venepuncture, but need to refresh your skills, before taking on the advanced course, you can combined the advanced course with our refresher course.
Venepuncture Practices & Techniques inc. Live Bloods + Advanced Phlebotomy + Intravenous Cannulation: (£400 + VAT) Save £100
Half Day Venepuncture Refresher Training inc. Live Bloods + Advanced Phlebotomy + Intravenous Cannulation: (£350 + VAT) Save £100
Venepuncture Starter Kit (£25 +VAT +P&P)
This box contains all the equipment you will need to draw at least 10 bloods from willing volunteers. You can use this kit to complete your competency training, under supervision from an experienced phlebotomist or nurse. The kit includes:
- 20 x Vacutainers
- 2 x 23g Butterfly needles
- 2 x 21g Signal needles
- 8 x 22g Eclipse needles
- 10 x Pre-injection swabs
- 10 x Cotton wool balls
- 10 x Spot Plasters
- 10 x Pairs of gloves
- 5 x Disposable tourniquets
- 1 x Clinical waste bag
- 1 x 1L Sharps bin
If you don't have a qualified supervisor, we can arrange to assess your competency remotely. Contact us for more details.
1 kit will come free with a Remote Competency Course.